Wednesday 17 June 2009

Naan, Pitta - whatever, it's good

It's a very quick and easy flatbread recipe - good for dunking, stuffing and even discus throwing when stale - hours of amusement from just 4 ingredients.

250g self-raising flour
2 tbsp bio yoghurt (the yoghurt-ier the better, if you know what I mean)
1/2 tbsp salt (3/4 tbsp is a tad too salty for my taste, you may feel differently)
About 100ml water

Mix together the first 3 ingredients, then slowly add the water and stop when you have a soft, slightly sticky dough - you may not need all of it - I added a tad too much and spent a jolly 10 minutes peeling it off my hands and back into the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and leave it to rest for 30 mins or so. It won't rise, btw.

When you're ready to bake, roll out amounts the size of an egg into a pleasing shape - perhaps oval - about 1/2 cm thick. Heat a dry frying pan till really quite hot, then throw it in, give it 30 seconds, turn it over and then keep warm in the oven till needed. I drizzled mine with sumac and olive oil and served them with bbq-d quail rubbed with ras-el-hanout, hummous (I only make my own now - more later), bbq-d aubergine slices drizzled with pomegranate molasses, salad and I think that was it.

They re-heat the next day v successfully either wrapped in foil in the oven or just heated in the frying pan again. And as I said, you can serve them with curry or take them down the Middle Eastern route.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you please post a recipe for Almond Sorbet? I made some the other day but the only ingredients were crushed almonds, sugar and water. It tasted ok but a little bland. Thought you might have a better one.

Jo said...

Anon - hmm almond sorbet - i shall see if i can find one and I'll put it up. Next post will be me making Hugh's goats cheese cheesecake..

Jo said...

Anon - re your almond sorbet query, have a look at these 2 links. Also have you tried adding almond essence or even toasting the almonds for a more intense flavour.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Desserts%20and%20Puddings/almond_ice_cream_____v____c____4.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/3334040/Nice-ice-baby.html

I'll check out some middle eastern books as they might have something more in line...

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, thanks.
My almond sorbet only lasted 24 hours. After that, the almonds tasted chewy and a bit stale.

Jo said...

I had a look at some recipes at home - nothing of value I'm afraid. If you want to stick with almond sorbet, I'd toast or add a complementary flavour, such as peach...